Monday, October 01, 2007

get visa to Italy again

"Sometimes I feel sad to be a Chinese." I said to Marev, a visiting scholar from Israel.
She was confused, I said, "I have to apply for visa again and again."

I was invited by Greenaccord to join this year's conference Nov.7-11 again. It's a hard time for me.
I have to leave U.S.A before Oct.30, so I asked the Chinese Consulate in SF to book the airplane back Beijing at Oct.29. Oct.28 is My daughter and her mother's birthday. So, it will be a excellent time. Then, only 7 days left for me to apply visa in Beijing if I want to join the conference.

I tried to sent an email to the Italian consulate in SF, and asked him if I can apply for the visa to Italy in SF in case I start from Beijing. To my surprise, he replied me after several hours. He said, he may be authorized by Italian Embassy in Beijing. But they would like to can help me.

The miserable experience of getting visa to Italy in Beijing last year still made me thrilling.
I asked him again, is it more nature to apply for visa in SF if I visit Italy from SF and go back China directly from Rome? The quick response is that we can process it.

It's too hot today.
I got the money order in the post office and copied my passport and DS2019 this morning. I booked the hostel and bought travel insurance last night. Greenaccord faxed me all the document Monday morning. I got the employment verification Monday afternoon.

I got off from BART at Montgomery and transferred Muni 45 and got off at the next street of Webster and went 4 blocks and reached the Consulate of Italy.

I ringed. It answered.
I said to the monitor, "this is Song, I am coming to apply visa.
"Today is not visa hour."
I saw the sign outside the door.
Visa hour: Monday and Thursday, 1pm-3:30pm.
"oh, I thought it's Monday through Thursday. I am sorry, I will come tomorrow."

It said: "just a minutes"
I said, "thank you."

the door opened.
Two officials lightened the light, a mid age man dressed formal went to window.

Only half an hour. He gave an receipt, pick it Oct.1. Next Monday.

同样是意大利人,差距咋就那么大呢!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
above was written in last Wednesday after I came back from the Italian Consulate in SF.
I got the visa this afternoon, very smoothly.
to my surprise, it's a multiple entries visa for tourist till next April.

3 comments:

greenaccordsecretariat said...

Dear Song, we are so happy that this year you've managed to get your visa without troubles ;)
Looking forward to meeting you in Rome.Milena and Alessia

Knight Loft said...

thank you, I am looking forward to meet you too:)

Unknown said...

hi, songge! It's a good news